Tuesday, May 11, 2010

So Lucky

Some of my happiest memories are of summer vacations in Wyoming visiting my grandparents. My Grandma Hopkin did not have air conditioning so every night she would open the windows and let the fresh country air pour into the house. I remember waking up early in the morning to the sound of cattle feeding in the pasture next to my grandma's house. Everyone would hurry and put on something warm so we could go for a walk and watch the sunrise. When we got back to my grandma's house she would have breakfast ready for us. Sometimes she would make eggs and toast. She would serve us orange juice in these tiny little glasses which were once full of jelly. I don't know why but breakfast always tasted better on the farm. After everyone had eaten, my Grandpa Hopkin would saddle up his horses and take the family for a long ride though the dry, dusty fields. By the time we would get back from our ride my grandma always had lunch ready for us. I think our lives revolved around our next meal when we visited grandma. Usually my aunts, uncles, and cousins would come over for dinner. It was always so fun to play with my cousins. Tonya, Tess, and I would find my grandma's fancy old aprons (I think Ashley, Fara, and Michelle were too mature to run around in aprons). I remember thinking those aprons were the most elegant and beautiful things I had ever seen.
One of my other favorite things to play with was this funny little music box that was shaped like a cabin. You could wind up the music box on the bottom but the music would not start playing until you lifted up the roof. It is funny how objects can hold so much meaning and so many memories. Today while I was shopping at the DI I came across this little treasure:

I had to bring the little darling home with me. This music box looks and sounds exactly the way I remember my grandma's music box. I think I have already listened to Eidlewiess fifty-three times since I bought my music box this afternoon.
Clarkston reminds me so much of my summer vacations in Northern Wyoming. Greg and I do not have air conditioning so we sleep with all the windows open. We live next door to a little farm with chickens, goats, a pony, etc. All summer long I get to wake up to the sound of our rooster-friend from next door. I always try to get out of bed while it is still dark so I can sit on my porch swing and drink hot chocolate as the sun peeks up over the mountains. Then I go inside and watch the the sunlight pour in through our cut glass windows. The morning sun makes perfect tiny rainbows that dance around my front room.
I am not sure how I got so lucky to live in this perfect place, I know I am just grateful I get to.

8 comments:

Greg said...

I know how you feel about getting to live here. I can't imagine ever moving back to the city.

Jefrilyn Ellison said...

That's so nice! What sweet memories!

Melissa S. said...

Are you trying to make me incredibly green with envy??? Because if so I am :)

Leigh said...

Well Melissa, you could always move up here...

life in red shoes said...

No wonder you don't like coming to the city, neither would I:)

Melissa S. said...

Leigh find me a job and I'm there... :)

Leigh said...

Bridgette, I don't think I'll ever be able to live in a city again after this!

Melissa, I'm on it.

Tonya Bennett said...

Your memories made me tear up. I have so many of the same ones. Love the little treasure you found!